Many people opt for popular resolutions like losing weight or traveling, which most of the time never pans out. So, first and foremost let’s change resolutions to goals. We all know that goals are much easier to stick to than resolutions. What if this year you tried something a little different by trying to incorporate eco-conscious goals?
Here are 7 eco-conscious goals to follow:
1) Bring your own shopping bags – shopping with reusable bags is a simple way to reduce pollution. It also helps to reduce consumption, prevent deforestation and reduce our dependence on fossil fuel. Plastic bags are the second most prevalent form of litter after cigarette butts.
2) Start hanging your laundry to dry – according to Project Laundry List, commercial, industrial and residential clothes dryers use a whopping 15-20% of domestic energy in the US. If all Americans used a clothesline or folding drying racks just once a week, the savings would be enough to close several coal fired or nuclear power plants!
3) Start walking, biking or taking public transportation – Nothing would protect the environment and decrease our dependence on oil more than taking steps to reduce your environmental footprint. Transportation accounts for more than 30 percent of US carbon dioxide emissions.
4) Detox Your Home – According to the EPA, household cleaning products rank among the most toxic everyday substances to which people are exposed. To top it off in order to protect “trade secrets” manufacturers are not even required to disclose ingredients in their cleaning products at all. In contrast green cleaning products are typically made with common kitchen ingredients like water, vinegar, baking powder and castile soap. So, go green!
5) Implement a recycling system or make sure that your current one is the best it can be – the first step is to find out what types of items can be recycled in your area and how you should present those items to be recycled. The City of Temple has a wonderful curbside program that can help you get started.
6) Get the chemicals out of your cosmetics – Did you know that everything you put on your skin gets absorbed into your bloodstream? Which is why your personal care products should be so pure you could eat them! This year choose eco-friendly and non-toxic brands by reading labels.
7) Give to grow whether as an individual or a business – Have you thought about making a pledge to give back? Giving has the power to be truly transformational and it’s not just for big corporations. One person, one company can make a world of difference. Join the Keep Temple Beautiful movement of like-minded individuals and businesses who want to give to grow in 2019 and be a part of something amazing. Keep Temple Beautiful is a non-profit 501c3 that is constantly giving and doing in the community. Do a world of good and become a member or donate to one of our many projects and programs.
I hope these ideas will inspire you to live more healthfully, naturally and sustainably to make the transformation into 2019 with the help of these eco-conscious goals.
By: Tanya Gray, Keep Temple Beautiful - for the Temple Chamber of Commerce January 2019 Focus on Business